A mindfulness approach to mental health helps patients focus on the present moment instead of obsessing on random thoughts and past events. Mindfulness for teens can be very beneficial to them and their families when they are struggling with depression, anxiety, or other mental health disorders. A mindfulness and meditation therapy program provide a holistic approach to treating a number of mental health disorders for teens.
At Imagine Seattle, we work with teens aged twelve to seventeen who need help understanding their thoughts and emotions. We provide outpatient care using behavioral therapy and medication-assisted treatment for a well-rounded treatment program with a high success rate. Reach out to our Imagine Seattle team online or call 425.295.2459 today for more information about our mindfulness and meditation therapy program.
Is Meditation for Teens Helpful?
Meditation for teens can be very beneficial for their troubled minds. It can help them focus on the present while improving concentration and insight into themselves. Over the recent years, mindfulness practices in treatment facilities have increased as patients and therapists discover the benefits of meditation when dealing with a number of mental health disorders.
A few of the mental health disorders that mindfulness for teens can treat include:
- Chronic pain
- Heart disease
- High blood pressure
At Imagine Seattle, our certified therapists and medical staff will evaluate your teen’s condition and create a custom outpatient treatment plan that addresses their mental health issues. They will develop healthy coping skills and practice them with their peers under the guidance of their therapist to improve their mental health.
Benefits of Teen Mindfulness Practices
When teens experience trauma or other mental health disorders, they don’t know how to handle their emotions or express them properly. This can lead them to withdraw and not talk about their feelings and create a worsening mental health condition that can lead to self-harm or a substance use disorder. There are many benefits to teen mindfulness practices that can help teens create healthy coping skills they will use throughout their lives.
Some of the benefits of teen meditation therapy include:
- Enhances mental focus – Meditation helps teens focus their thoughts and can calm their racing minds. It helps them stay in the present and stop obsessing on troubling thoughts and feelings or past and future events.
- Improves self-esteem – Teens who have trouble expressing themselves can suffer from low self-esteem. Mindfulness can help teens get control of their emotions so they can understand their feelings and express them in a normal manner.
- Reduces anxiety – Anxiety is a common issue for teens, and it can cause serious symptoms like a rapid heartbeat, sweating, and excessive fear. Mindfulness for teens helps them stop their thoughts from causing physical symptoms through simple breathing techniques and meditative mantras that they can do anytime and anywhere when they begin to feel anxious.
- Prevents or stops substance abuse – Many teens will turn to drugs or alcohol to cope with their mental health issues thinking they are helping, but all they are doing is worsening their condition. Meditation helps teens sort through their thoughts and feelings in a healthy manner, so they don’t turn to drugs or alcohol for relief from their symptoms.
Explore Mindfulness for Teens at Imagine Seattle
At Imagine Seattle, we support teens struggling with substance abuse and mental health disorders. We employ various behavioral therapies and medication-assisted treatment to give teens the best chance to improve their mental health.
Some of the behavioral therapies we use include:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy
- Dialectical behavior therapy
- Trauma therapy
- Group and individual therapy
- Family therapy
If you feel your teen is struggling with depression or other mental health disorders, call 425.295.2459 or contact us online today for more information about our teen meditation therapy programs.