Social anxiety in teens is a common mental health disorder that can cause uncomfortable feelings, a racing heartbeat, sweaty palms, and an inability to concentrate in social settings. It can make meeting new people very difficult and impact their ability to form healthy relationships. Teens who struggle with social anxiety or other types of anxiety will find the help they need through an accredited anxiety treatment program.
At Imagine Seattle, we support teen boys and girls between the ages of 12 and 17 who are struggling with social anxiety or other types of mental health disorders. Our behavioral therapists take the time to build a close relationship with each patient to create an atmosphere of trust and open communication. Your teen will develop healthy coping skills for managing their symptoms while bonding with their peers during group therapy. To learn more about our anxiety treatment program, call 425.295.2459 or send us a message online, and we will get back to you ASAP.
Understanding the Different Types of Anxiety
Anxiety is a common mental health disorder that affects nearly four out of ten teens each year. The teenage years can be a very difficult time for many boys and girls. They are experiencing new thoughts and sensations and may be confused or upset by some of these new experiences.
Anxiety is a natural reaction to stressful situations that everybody experiences. Unfortunately, a lot of teens don’t have the coping skills necessary to deal with the various causes of anxiety. Some of the common causes of anxiety in teens include:
- Peer and social pressure
- Experiencing a traumatic event
- Changing hormone levels
- Arguing with parents or siblings
- The stress of keeping up with schoolwork
At Imagine Seattle, we understand how the different types of anxiety can affect your teen and will create a tailored treatment program based on their unique symptoms and experiences. Teens will participate in various behavioral therapy while receiving medication to minimize any symptoms that are getting in the way of their recovery.
Social Anxiety in Teens
Social anxiety is one of the more common types of anxiety that teens will experience as they develop. It can make forming relationships difficult and cause them to withdraw from friends and family rather than deal with the uncomfortable feelings they experience. If left untreated, anxiety can worsen and lead to substance abuse, depression, and isolation.
There are several effective treatment programs that can ease the symptoms of social anxiety in teens and build their confidence in handling any type of social setting:
- Behavioral therapy—Cognitive-behavioral therapy is one of the most successful types of behavioral therapy for treating anxiety and other mental health disorders. It helps teens process their thoughts and feelings in healthy ways and teaches them how to communicate those feelings without causing any negative or irrational behavior.
- Holistic therapy—Meditation, yoga, painting, and nature walks are types of holistic therapy that are very beneficial in helping teens cope with their anxiety. It introduces them to new interests and hobbies that go a long way toward easing their anxiety symptoms and shows them the power within them to make positive changes.
- Medication-assisted treatment—In extreme cases, medication can reduce some of the symptoms of anxiety, such as depression and substance abuse. Medical staff will administer medications that will minimize the symptoms that interfere with the recovery process. By the time they finish the program, most teens will no longer need the medication.
- Family therapy—An integral part of any teen therapy program is family therapy. Parents and siblings will talk with a therapist about any frustrations or negative feelings they have in a safe and judgment-free space. This program also teaches families about their teen’s unique anxiety symptoms and how to create a supportive home environment.
Social anxiety in teens can negatively impact your teen’s development and ability to form healthy relationships with their peers. Enrolling them in an anxiety treatment program will give them the skills they need to thrive in life.
Reach Out to Imagine Seattle Today to Enroll Your Teen in Our Anxiety Treatment Program
At Imagine Seattle, we support teen boys and girls from all walks of life who need help with their social anxiety, panic disorders, or other types of anxiety. Your teen will participate in group and private therapy, where they will talk with a therapist about their feelings and develop new coping skills for managing their symptoms.
If you suspect your teen son or daughter is struggling with anxiety, call 425.295.2459 today to discover all of the benefits of our teen mental health treatment programs. You can also fill out our online form and allow us to get back to you.