Depression is a serious mental health condition that affects people of all ages. Teenage depression can be difficult to recognize because the symptoms may not be quite the same as those of adults. Knowing the signs of depression in teens can help you spot it early and get your child the proper treatment.
At Imagine Seattle, we understand how painful it can be to see your child struggling with depression. While you may not know they are struggling with this condition, you probably know something is wrong. Learn how to recognize the signs of depression in teens and what you can do to help. If you think your teen is suffering from depression, reach out to us today at 425.295.2459 to learn how our depression treatment for teens can help them overcome this challenging condition.
Recognizing Signs of Depression in Teens
If your child does not seem to be themselves lately, they may be struggling with depression. Depression in teens can present itself in many different ways, making it more difficult to recognize. Here are some signs of depression in teens to look out for:
- They often seem sad or irritable.
- They frequently seem tired and have trouble sleeping.
- They struggle with schoolwork, possibly due to sleep issues or difficulty concentrating.
- They seem less interested in activities they once enjoyed, such as spending time with friends or participating in extracurricular activities.
- They have experienced drastic changes in appetite or weight.
- They complain of frequent headaches or muscle aches.
If you notice the above signs in your child, be sure to seek help from a mental health treatment center or talk to your family care practitioner. They can conduct a proper assessment to determine if your team is experiencing depression symptoms and develop an appropriate treatment plan.
Addressing Depression Symptoms in Teens
There is no one size fits all treatment for teens with depression since it depends on each person’s symptoms and needs. There are several options available to help teens manage depression, and your provider can help determine which option would be best for your child. Addressing depression symptoms in teens may involve:
- Consulting your primary care physician – Your family doctor may be a great first option as they likely know your child already and can take note of any changes in their health. They may prescribe medication or refer you to a mental health professional.
- Finding a therapist – You can select a therapist with experience in teenage depression who offers one-on-one sessions or group therapy.
- Seeking a mental health treatment facility – Your primary care physician may refer you to a mental health provider, or you could choose to reach out to a treatment center offering specialized depression treatment for teens. These programs combine therapy, medication, and support to help teens manage depression symptoms.
- Enrolling in holistic therapies – Depression treatment is about more than just medication and counseling. Your teen will also benefit from holistic therapies that reduce stress and teach mindfulness. You can find classes designed specifically for young people, such as yoga, meditation, and breathing exercises.
In addition to the above depression treatment options, you can find support groups for teens as well as those for the parents of teens struggling with their mental health. Talking to other parents in similar situations can help you support your child while providing an outlet to share your concerns and challenges.
Find Depression Treatment for Teens at Imagine Seattle
If your child seems moody or out of sorts lately, it may be more than typical teen angst. Knowing how to recognize the signs of teenage depression can let you know when your child may need professional help. If you have any questions about depression treatment for teens, reach out to Imagine Seattle at 425.295.2459 or via our online form.